Friday, July 13, 2012

Trendy Diabetics

So, received an interesting piece of mail yesterday from my primary life company: Current Trends in Diabetes and Underwriting Diabetic Applicants.

(And yes, I am geeky enough that I find this stuff fascinating)

Turns out, a lot of the hype we see and hear on TV and the radio isn't really hype, after all, The mailing quoted CDC studies which revealed that:
■ The number of Americans diagnosed with diabetes more than tripled from 1980 to 2010
In 2010, more than 200,000 Americans under age 20 had diabetes
Almost 80 million Americans are considered "pre-diabetic."
In a follow-up conversation with my underwriter, I was told that this carrier alone (hardly one of the biggest names) receives over 300 apps a year on folks who didn't even know they were diabetic.

Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment